Wednesday, May 19, 2010

FEAR

The Peanut's Strider Bike arrived yesterday (finally). I think I was more excited than she was to have it arrive.

Strider Bike = no pedals

When she saw the box sitting on our porch she got super excited. When I put it together she got even more excited. When she sat on it (with her helmet on) and tipped over . . . she was done. She hasn't been on it since. She tends to become afraid of things she doesn't quite understand very easily and since our geriatric neighborhood has absolutely zero kids for her to play with on a regular basis, she hasn't seen one of these bikes before. I might have to download some video for her otherwise she has no idea what to do. Deep down I know she'd love this but how do I help conquer her fear?

This little episode last night got me thinking about "fear" in general. While I was out running 6 miles through my neighborhood (I opted out of doing speedwork) I remembered being fearless as a kid but now as an adult, I can list a number of things that I fear.

Biggest fear. Birds.

That photo was from our weekend in Tahoe. For reasons I can't really explain, I have an intense fear of birds. My least favorite places on Earth are Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and St. Marks Square in Venice Italy. Why? Because there are thousands upon thousands of birds looking to eat your face crumbs left by tourists.

The Peanut on the other hand, loves birds. I consider her my "bird chaser" whenever we're out and about.

    Saving Momma Chasing away the birds.

I also fear public speaking but I face that and have faced that on numerous occasions and just do it.

Question: What is something that you did once and was so afraid you haven't done it since? More importantly, what are you doing to do about that?

Stay tuned as I have lots of photos from our Tahoe weekend to share. I'll post those later today along with some exciting running news.  

No comments:

Post a Comment