Saturday, June 30, 2012


Okay, I recaped the marathon. Now it is time to recap the vacation as well as the Peanut's half mile race and Van's Duathlon.
We left early on a Thursday morning. Van's had a mountain bike race on Wednesday night so I was left with the girls and loading the car because I wanted to be on the road by 6:00 am and Van's is NOT a morning person.

I think we officially left by 6:30 a.m. so not too shabby I guess. We stopped at a Starbucks on the way out to get some caffeine for the trip and the girls were dressed in their pajamas with hopes (har har) that they'd quickly fall back to sleep in the car. 

Because of the coffee, our first stop was within an hour but it was brief. I drove the first three or three and half hours or so while Vans tried to catch some sleep. The girls did fall back to sleep for a bit eventually.

Rest stops were always welcomed though as a chance to stretch our legs.

My traveling crew

Peanut loves to travel

I have to admit, the girls were great travelers. I packed lots of snacks and we had DVDs for the Peanut. Poor Squeaker had to stare outside the back window and watch Vans's bike blowing in the wind. She seemed content and slept well enough.
Group Hug!

We stopped for lunch and I have to say, I LOVE Oregon. Their Subway chains are a test company for some gluten free bread! On the drive up, with a marathon pending in two days, I didn't want to risk trying a sandwich BUT the workers at the Subway explained to me that they not only change gloves, they clean their work stations and use separate knives. They even did so when they made my veggie salad! I vowed to try a sandwich on the ride home.

We arrived in Sunriver a lot earlier than expected. We stopped at the local mart to buy a few things for dinner. I texted Mommy on the Run to see when they planned to arrive and what their dinner plans were. They were not even close and not planning to stop so I told them we'd have dinner waiting and ready for everyone.

Squeaker and Bundles meet for the first time
(photo compliments of Mommy on the Run)

These two are roughly 12+ months and 13+ months apart respectively. Both teething. Both food throwers and both pretty hilarious. Bundles could pummel Squeaker easily but Bundles is also a snuggler and a love. I fell for her instantly.

Friday we ventured into Bend Oregon, something we never did in 2010. We hit up a Trader Joes because they don't have those in Canada and Mommy on the Run was beside herself with giddy over it all. She could not believe the prices, the variety and the types of things they had. We loaded up since our condo fridge was empty. After Trader Joes we went to Costco where we were a bit more streamlined in our purchases ... diapers, wipes, fruit etc. Vans bought his "girlfriend" JD a remote control race car (as well as one for himself) so we knew trouble was ahead.

On the way home it started to rain. We stopped at the Athlete's Village to pick up our race packets only to be pelted by hail on our way to the car. Lovely. We were all seriously shaking in our boots, not only from the cold weather but from the possibility that we all might have to race in this weather. As you know from my race report, the weather held off for the marathon and half marathon.

So bored that me reading a book was entertainment

Saturday came and went. Marathon and Half Marathon run and finished and celebrated. The rest of Saturday however was spent with Vans and JD going over their game plan for their duathlon the next day. They had to figure out how to get their bikes to the transition area where the triathletes were actually swimming and figure out how they were getting to the starting area early Sunday morning.

Transition area

and fun for Peanut and Monkey

With all the logistics for the boys figured out, it was time to figure out the logistics for us moms. We had four kids, two of whom were racing as well on Sunday morning.

However, the boys were up bright and early (much to my surprise) on Sunday getting themselves ready for their race.

Racing boys

The boys drove themselves to the start and parked. We really had no clue as to when to expect them to hit the run transition but we were "thinking" 90 minutes was roughly a good estimate.

So, four kids = four car seats. Unfortunately at this point, Squeaker started developing a fever, stopped sleeping and was real clingy. We were able to fit four car seats and two BOB jogging strollers into my car as well as two adults, diaper bags, coolers etc. Mommy on the Run and I were out the door with literally two minutes to spare before Peanut and Monkey's half mile start.

Racing Peanut

Holding hands at the start.

They actually held hands the whole first quarter mile of the race. Then I think the altitude hit the Peanut and she had to stop and walk while Monkey just continued on. That girl is going to be an excellent athlete some day.

Monkey coming into the finish

The Peanut coming into the finish

(who hate posing for photos)

After some lunch, a few melt downs and whatever else comes along with four kids we made it back out to the course to watch JD and Vans finish their duathlon.

Here comes JD with Monkey waiting to run with him

Vans with the Peanut

Vans won second in his age group and JD won first!!
(Same age group ... you can imagine the competition)

But the "bro-mance" survives

With all the racing behind us, the rest of the vacation involved nothing but relaxing, eating good food, trying to find ways to lay out in the sun even though the temps were never quite that warm and breaking up the occasional "problem" between Monkey and the Peanut (they are both four, running on fumes and stuck indoors ... space is bound to be needed at some point).

We had some nice walks after dinner which also included walking and having some wine while the kids road their bikes along the bike trails ...

They road

while the adults talked ...

But then things got a little crazy. JD mentioned something about climbing a tree barefoot with just his belt buckle ... one thing led to another and ...

Watch out Bear Grylls, JD is the new Survivorman!

I also had to partake in the fun and test the waters of my marathon recovery ...

with a front hand spring

I won't go calling the Olympics just yet

The kids were highly amused if a little worried.

Other interesting parts of the week were when when Vans and JD decided to go for a "leisurely" bike ride and JD arrived home looking like this:

His whole left side was road rash, ouch.

Before we knew it, it was time to go home.

Squeaker volunteered to drive first

Despite some chilly and wet weather, the week was a success. I miss our friends already. The girls liked having someone their age to play with on a moment's notice (despite a few quarrels), the moms I think also liked having someone to "play" with or attempt to relax with and the dads also had some nice bonding time with a few bike rides and trips to the various pools etc.

The drive home was similar although it took quite a bit longer to get home. I do have to mention one funny thing though. We were barely on the road when Peanut says "Hey I want Ban Joey please!" Vans and I look at each other with that "What did she say?" look. Here is how the conversation played out:

Me: You want what?
Peanut: I want Ban Joey.
Me: Van what?
Peanut: No, Ban Joey. I want to hear the song - the one that goes ONE TWO THREE FOUR! (yelling) (I am looking at Vans and mouth "what is she talking about?")
Peanut: You know, your Ban Joey song momma!

Finally a light bulb goes off in both mine and Vans's head at the same time. She means BON JOVI!!! Not Ban Joey and she was requesting the song You Were Born to Be My Baby (because I sing this song in the car with them all the time) ... I am a Jersey Girl at heart after all and Bon Jovi is always in my CD player.

I put the song on and the Peanut and I belted out the lryics while Squeaker rocked out in her car seat to the music ... Vans just rolled his eyes and continued driving.

It was the perfect end to a successful vacation despite all four of us now having a cold and Squeaker having a double ear infection. Life isn't pretty at home right now but it is nice to be home. I've already gone on a short run and the legs feel great. I have a few goals in mind of what I want to accomplish the next few months and then I have two half marathons in October that I would like to do.

We have guests coming to stay in July and more guests coming to stay in August. The Trailmomma house is always busy and that is just the way I like it.

Mt Shasta



1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice fun trip! I bet it was nice to get a vacation of sorts.