Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gluten Free

It is not a secret but it probably is not something most people know unless you know me pretty well. I have Celiac Disease and was diagnosed with it in my mid-twenties. It is also not unknown to those who know me well how much I have struggled with the gluten free diet. I have been on and off the diet more times than I can count all the while hoping and praying I was "different" and secretly did not have Celiac despite my diagnosis via biopsy (sigh) and the resulting affects of consuming gluten while maintaining my intense fitness levels.

The birth of my daughter in 2008 and ultimately my pregnancy leading up to her birth made the diet hit home with me. I wanted my growing child to be 100% healthy both inside my belly and out. That is why I maintained a strict gluten free diet while being pregnant, again while breastfeeding and also her entire first year of life.

She has since had gluten and so far has tested "normal" but we are keeping a close eye on her. Often times, she prefers mom's gluten free foods over the "regular" stuff . . . much to my delight. 

I know most of my entries are race or running related but fuel is a big part of running. If you don't fuel properly you can't run well. Lessons I have learned the hard way unfortunately.

I am constantly on the hunt for new gluten free foods that will aid my running and I am always reading labels of various "athlete" foods yadda yadda. I can't run up to any aid station on a trail run and grab what I want with out having to view the selection and determine what is safe for me. Most times I have to do my due diligence which can include contacting a race director to see what will be provided and if I will need to carry my own nutrition (FYI I often carry it anyway just in case. You never know what may happen especially when trail running).

So today I discovered this site: Gluten Free Fitness
I am excited to read about more athletes who are handling their fitness (and ultimately their lives) while training and living on a gluten free diet.

Some day I hope my Peanut will run along side me and if running is not her "thing" that is okay too as long as she knows that fuel is important for a working active body. Lord knows she's active enough for me now! :-)


                                                 
                                                                     Mmmm food!

No comments:

Post a Comment